Sunday 16 February 2020

Parallel Passages II

See Parallel Passages.

"'Go,' he said in the Urdahu. 'Wait outside.' The guards obeyed. He nodded at Flandry. 'Be seated, if you wish.'"
-"Hunters of the Sky Cave," XII, pp. 242-243.

This passage reminded me of the two that were compared in the first "Parallel Passages" post. (See the first link above.)

In these respective scenes:

guards bring Everard to Cerialis;

guards bring Flandry to McCormac;

guards bring Flandry to Svantozik of the Janneer Ya, an Intelligence officer of the Ardazirho force occupying Vixen.

Similar situations recur in this kind of fiction. I will probably continue rereading Flandry's adventures on Vixen tomorrow.

For what it is worth, I have finished reading the new Le Carre novel. SPOILER ALERT: Its hero does something that Flandry would never do - OK, I will not spell it out in case some reader of this blog does read that book.

We are still suffering from bad weather alerts here.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I looked up your link and I agree in seeing those parallels you saw.

So many books I should read, including those of Le Carre! And how impossible to read them all!

On Saturday I went to Barnes and Noble to buy a book I had been thinking of getting for some time: SOMETHING DEEPLY HIDDEN: QUANTUM WORLDS AND THE EMERGENCE OF SPACE TIME, by Sean Carroll. I think the subject matter will cover, from a different perspective, what we read in Frank Tipler's THE PHYSICS OF CHRISTIANITY.

Ad astra! Sean