Friday 21 February 2020

"Practics"

"Soft" sf, so to call it, by Ray Bradbury, Clifford Simak or CS Lewis, does not require any scientific or technological knowledge whereas hard sf by James Blish, Poul Anderson or Larry Niven is enhanced by such knowledge. See past posts referring to Lewis' idea of the "Engineer's Story," here. (Scroll down.) Years ago, my friend, Fran Cobden, Engineering student and fellow sf reader, was able both to bodge machinery and to calculate planetary orbits. He was aghast at how little I noticed of the world around me - which was because my thought processes were almost entirely abstract. I think that I eventually inquired my way to a deeper philosophical understanding than Fran. He saw the trees whereas I saw the wood. Philosophical understanding can help with which political movements to support and which kind of meditation to practice so it does not have to remain theoretical. (Fran would say, "Let's get back to practics...")

These reflections are prompted by the immense wealth of technical information to be found in Poul Anderson's deceptively simple story, "A Tragedy of Errors." A star rover and his two wives land on a planet where they need help with spaceship repairs but there is much more going on than that. Why are the planetary environment and the current state of technology of its human colonists the way they are? These are the kinds of passages that I would once have skipped past in order to hurry on to the action, character interactions and plot resolution. On this rereading of the story, I aim to value every detail. There will be more to post about this.

2 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I would have included Jerry Pournelle as one of those masters of hard SF. And I'm inclined to sympathize with Mr. Cobden's POV. Before you can understand what the wood of a tree IS, surely you have to begin with seeing that it was a tree first?

I am sure I missed many of the details to be found in "A Tragedy of Errors" the first times I read the story. Details that needed repeated readings for me to notice. And that is another reason for disagreeing with those who say a story only needs to be read once. Granted, a shallow, thin, trite, superficial can probably be read only once and then forgotten with no loss, but is not the case with Anderson's works!

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

We have a saying that someone "...could not see the wood for the trees," meaning that he sees lots of details but not the overall picture so "the wood" means the forest, not the material that the trees are composed of.

I think that Flandry somewhere makes my distinction between "not seeing the wood for the trees" and "not seeing the trees for the wood."

Paul.