Thursday 6 December 2018

Unit B

Poul Anderson, Harvest The Fire, Chapter 9.

Nicol, supervising robots working on a spaceship's hull, is about to realize how he has been used. The Lunarians have a hold over him because, in a rage, he killed one of their comrades. But why did he do it? Surely he had gained control over his violent impulses? Otherwise, he could not have become a space pilot. Instead of punching Seyant, he stabbed him because there was a knife in his hand but the Lunarians had put it there. And Falaire had led him to think that Seyant was also her lover - Nicol freezes and, at that moment, a robot says:

"'Unit B is now positioned and ready for you.'" (p. 150)

Although Anderson does not quite spell this out, Nicol now suspects that he has been the Lunarians' Unit B, maneuvered into the position where they wanted him...

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

What ** I ** thought was that Falaire was using Nicol like a pawn or a piece to be sacrificed in her chess game.

In fact I did exactly that in the chess game I included with my Appendix to the "Andersonian Chess" essay. I deliberately sacrificed my Bishop to attack Black's pawn at h6.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I don't think that Falaire plans to sacrifice Nicol but she is definitely manipulating him.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Then it would have been more correct for me to say Falaire sacrificed Seyant.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
But Nicol only though that he killed Seyant. It was a stage knife with a retracting blade. That was a major part of the deception.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Dang! Only goes to show how much I've forgotten about HARVEST THE FIRE. Then it goes back to me thinking Falaire was treating Nicol like a pawn.

Sean