Monday 10 December 2018

The Undying Light

Poul Anderson, Vault Of The Ages, Chapter 4, "The Undying Light."

Several chapters have apocalyptic titles. "The Undying Light" features an Andersonian action-adventure narrative. Will the night-time chase end in a fight? No. It makes a point about the state of society in this speculative future. Thus, Carl faces his pursuers, threatens them with "'...the black magic of the Doom that wastes the world...'" (p. 46) and shines a hand-cranked flashlight at them. Warriors flee in terror.

Short posts fit my current life style. I can type this over a quick lunch between other activities. Rereading of Vault Of The Ages and Julian May's Magnificat will continue. May describes colonized planets in Andersonian detail.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I was reminded me of how Poul Anderson's story "The Only Game In Town" shows us Manse Everard giving a similar kind of flashlight to the leader of a group of Mongol explorers in N. America during Kubilai Khan's reign. The Noyon came close to awed terror at seeing that kind of artificial light.

I reread the preface Anderson wrote for VAULT OF THE AGES. And I know about time capsules. But, was the "time vault" in that preface meant to be either fictional or is there an actual "vault" of the kind the story focuses on?

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Anderson's Introduction says that there are only two Time Capsules. Neither corresponds to the Vault.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I know, it was not the time CAPSULES I was wondering about, but whether there is a real world time VAULT somewhere.

Sean

David Birr said...

Paul and Sean:
H. Beam Piper — yes, him again — co-authored a "time vault" sort of story, "The Return." The vault itself isn't quite as important to the story as is the most unusual civilization that's been preserved nearby.

It can be read at:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/18855/18855-h/18855-h.htm

I have to say, one of the first illustrations in that copy of "The Return" might spoil the revelation at the end, about the Slain and Risen One they reverence. Although the names are pretty strong hints, too.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, DAVID!

I do not in the least object to how often you cite H. Beam Piper, one of your two or three most favorite SF authors. I only wish I had read more of Piper's works!

I will try to find "The Return" at the web site you mentioned.

Sean