Monday 17 December 2018

Church-State Conflict In Dalestown

Poul Anderson's, Vault Of The Ages, Chapter 13, "Hero's Reward."

The chapter heading is ironic. Carl and his companions enter the town and converse with Carl's father, Ralph, the Chief. Doctors bearing holy symbols, beating drums and chanting spells against witchcraft approach. The High Doctor accuses Carl of entering the forbidden City, attributes the Dalesmen's recent misfortunes to divine anger and stirs up the crowd who become a lynch mob. Ralph is able to insist only that the boys be tried according to the law. They are imprisoned and Carl will argue his case in court.

The pagan perspective of attributing misfortunes, including defeats in battle, to divine disapproval was continued by the Hebrew prophets. The modern approach is secular. If your roof leaks, you ask, "What (physically) caused the leak? How much will it cost to fix? Am I insured? Can I sue anyone?," not: "Why have the gods done this? Have I or my fathers sinned that this has happened to me?" Some people consult horoscopes or contemplate karma but meanwhile they get on with fixing the roof and claiming insurance.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

The caveat I would make is that I believe the ancient Hebrews/Jews were indeed chosen by God as the instrument why which He would reveal Himself to mankind. Which means I do believe God would punish the Jews if they failed to observe their covenant with YHWH. The other part of the Prophetic message was that God would not forever chastise the Jews but would bring them back from exile. I cited the example of Cyrus the Great as one example of this divine Providence.

Sean



w