Thursday 27 December 2018

Retellings

Imaginative authors create new stories and retell old stories. Poul Anderson retold Norse sagas and the legend of Ys. He mentioned the archer god, Uller, although none of that god's stories survive. New stories can be imagined but the lost originals cannot be retold.

Neil Gaiman suggests in the Introduction to his Norse Mythology that the fullest appreciation of myths comes neither from hearing nor from reading them but from making them your own and retelling them. Thus, the myths live:

"...tell your friends what happened when Thor's hammer was stolen, or of how Odin obtained the mead of poetry for the gods...
"Neil Gaiman
"Lisson Grove, London,
"May 2016"

Anderson tells and retells much about Odin's scheming and self-sacrifice.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I remember how I was disappointed the first time I read Anderson's THE WAR OF THE GODS. I thought it was too much a retelling of long familiar material to be found in the Eddas and sagas. However, I came to think much better of THE WAR OF THE GODS the second time I read it.

Sean