Sunday 23 December 2018

An Ocean From A Wet Dishcloth

I am frankly amazed that so much information can be extracted from a light weight novel like Poul Anderson's The High Crusade:

the Nine Worthies and a comparison with GK Chesterton;

the Third Heaven and comparisons with Dante and Milton;

the contrast between adventure fiction and speculative fiction but also their incorporation into a single future history series here;

comparisons with ERB and Michael Moorcock here;

medieval and modern concepts of survival after death here.

I will continue to reread and post about this novel as Christmas festivities allow. (An academic once said to me that we lose about a week at Christmas.)

Johan might submit a second article. Hopefully, Nygel and Ali, either independently or jointly, will review a Trygve Yamamura novel in the New Year. We approach the end of the second decade of the third millennium of our era.

The title of this post is taken from an obscure sf story.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I was very interested to learn Nygel or Ali (who is new to me) might review one of Anderson's Trygve Yamamura novels. I hope they do!

And I don't think a novel with strong flashes of humor, such as THE HIGH CRUSADE, has to be classified as "lightweight." I don't believe humor and seriousness of thought cannot be found in the same works. Or that it is somehow contradictory for that to happen.

Sean