Sunday 9 December 2018

Family Conflicts

Dominic Flandry learns that his illegitimate son, Dominic Hazeltine, is working for Merseia. Julian May's Uncle Rogi learns that his nephew, Denis Remillard, is the malignant entity, Fury. These are not mere life-style disagreements as when Daniel Holm disapproves of his son joining a choth. (New blog readers might search the blog for unfamiliar terms.) The equivalent for me would be my daughter becoming a Nazi. (Impossible.)

The saving grace for Denis is that he is unaware of his secondary personality, Fury, which possibly results from early abuse by his own father... Dominic Hazeltine, convinced that humanity is decadent and the Merseians vigorous, serves the latter even though they would enslave the former. Thus, he is in a different moral category from both of the Holms who fight to keep their planet, Avalon, in the Domain of Ythri and out of the Terran Empire. They are against the Empire but not against mankind. Dennitzan Merseians want to stay in the Empire and out of the Roidhunate!

Meanwhile, imagine what it would be like to be either Flandry or Rogi.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I remember that, about poor Denis Remillard unknowingly suffering from multiple personality disorder. And I'm thinking of taking the first two SAGA OF PLIOCENE EXILE books with me to read while visiting my brother for Christmas and New Year's.

For me, anyone who, like Dominic Hazeltine, deserted an imperfect but far from totally bad polity like the Empire to serve Merseia would be doing something as intolerable as working for Nazi Germany AND the USSR, which was no better. I think it would be more accurate to say the Holms were against Avalon becoming part of the Empire but not against that realm having a right to EXIST.

I have sometimes wondered what it would be like being Dominic Flandry--and I would fail to BE him! Because Flandry, along with Uncle Rogi, were unique individuals different from ME.

Sean