Sunday 16 December 2018

Carl's Moment Of Realization

Poul Anderson, Vault Of The Ages, Chapter 12.

Carl, Tom and Owl are prisoners in the Lann camp, tied up and guarded at night. How to escape?

"The idea came all at once. A thin and desperate plan, but - Go ahead! Do it now, at once, before its hopelessness chilled the limbs with fear." (p. 121)

Here we have all the elements of an Andersonian moment of realization. Anderson's heroes are excellent role models: practical, proactive problem-solvers.

The elements:

our hero is faced with a life-or-death problem;

he sudden realizes a long-shot possible solution (the hero often freezes, goes rigid etc but Carl can't do that tied up);

we are not yet told what the solution is - we can damned well work it out for ourselves or wait to be told when the solution is actioned!

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I have to somewhat regretfully state I would not be one of those Andersonian heroes! I strongly suspect I would either not have one of those "moments of realization" or fail to act on my insight. Or bungle an attempt at doing so. Just trying to be realistic about myself!

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Like many of us. I am a theoretician, not a practician.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I can only ADMIRE Nicholas van Rijn and Dominic Flandry! I don't believe I could ACT as they do in handling problems and dangers.

Sean