Saturday 1 December 2018

"Let Words Stand In"

Poul Anderson, Harvest The Fire, Chapter 1.

It is thirty years since Venator died, thus not very long after the events of the previous volume, The Stars Are Also Fire. Having been returned to individuality, Venator must already have been re-downloaded into an artificial neural network if not yet into a robot body?

By direct linkage, he converses with an aspect of the central intelligence. That aspect:

can merge with many other minds as necessary;

is what it is now only because this is deemed sufficient for the present purpose;

is distantly joined to the apex of the Teramind "...through nodes of ascending power..." (p. 34) like a finger joined to an arm and thus to a body.

The cybercosmic perception of transient, variable individuality might be similar to that of the Didonians?

The omniscient narrator informs the reader that Venator and the aspect do not really speak but exchange information and thoughts at nearly light-speed. Then, rather awkwardly, in my opinion, this narrator descends from his omniscient status to become one of us when he advises:

"But let words stand in for that lightninglike discourse. It is not altogether a false analogy." (p. 35)

But it is an analogy. The narrator, instead of remaining as far as possible invisible is directly addressing his audience in the imperative mood and making us realize that the verbal exchange that we are about to read does not really happen. In order to differentiate it from audible speech, the words are not enclosed inside quotation marks ("...") but preceded by a dash (-...).

7 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

You pay VERY close attention to how Anderson wrote his stories. I never even thought this part of Chapter 1 of HARVEST THE FIRE, was awkwardly written. I wonder if I will think so when I finally reread that book?

I'm currently reading Stirling's THE SKY BLUE WOLVES, which accounts for why I'm not yet reading again the HARVEST OF STARS books.

Also, I've been revising my "Andersonian Chess" article. Which I hope to send to you soon for uploading here, if you are willing, of course.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Of course.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Many thanks! In a day or two, I hope.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Usually in the past Ketlan has had to work on your texts in some way to make them come out right on the blog whereas last time, I think, he was able to transfer the article straight from email to blog without having to do anything to it. Hopefully, it will be that easy this time.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I regret how my texts caused so much difficulty. And I hope the revised article will be as easy to manage as the last one was.

For the illustration, when you get my text, I would like to keep PAWN TO INFINITY, the collected edited by Fred Saberhagen.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I didn't mean to complain. My hope is that, if you send the new version by the same format as you sent the most recent article, then it will be easy to transfer it to the blog.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I certainly hope so! I used the text of "Andersonian Chess" I first sent to you. I had to laboriously get that text out of the blue hyperlink line you find in "quoted" material. Then I could work in the new text neatly.

Sean