Tuesday 29 December 2020

More About The Chronology

Mirkheim, II.

Commander Nadi of the Supermetals defense force updates Grand Duchess Sandra of Hermes:

"'...Falkayn's employer, Nicholas van Rijn, deduced that the supermetals must come from a world of Mirkheim's type, and used the same method of search to find it.... Did I distress you?'
"'No. You, you surprised me. Van Rijn? When?'
"'Ten standard years ago. Falkayn and Falkayn's future wife persuaded him to maintain silence. In fact, he very kindly helped our agents keep the issue confused, to delay the eventual rediscovery.'" (p. 62)
 
So ten years between the end of "Lodestar" and the beginning of Mirkheim. For discussion of the Chronology of Technic Civilization, see here.

4 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

That is indeed a crucial datum contradicting my argument that the events in MIRKHEIM occurred 18, rather than ten years after "Lodestar." All the same, however, the totality of the factors I tried to reconcile still convinced me that eighteen, rather than ten years, was the more accurate dating.

It's frustrating, trying to sort out and reconcile the chronology of the Technic stories! All I could do was consider the evidence and then make some arbitrary choices and theoretically educated guesses.

By and large, I would still stick with MIRKHEIM occurring 18 and not 10 years after "Lodestar." I could plead that Commnander Nadi might have simply made a small mistake in the haste and anxiety of the moment.

Happy New Year! Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I left a comment for you in the combox to my revision of my earlier revamping of Sandra Miesel's Chronology. Could you make the corrections I asked for in that comment?

Happy New Year! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I think that I have done it the way you want.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And you did, many thanks!

One or two more tweaks to the Chronology and I think we will have made it as "accurate" as possible. And I can't help but think Anderson would have been a bit bemused by this intensive analysis of the timeline!

Happy New Year! Sean