Friday 31 May 2024

Yuri Dejerine And Donald Conway

Fire Time, II.

This chapter provides future historical background details.

Dejerine listens to Gean music and was stationed on Gea. We remember that Gunnar Heim was born and grew up there.

Dejerine converses with Donald Conway who grew up on Ishtar.

They are in Lunar gravity because they are on the Moon before shipping out to their respective war postings.

The current war is against Naqsa. Naqsans were introduced in The Star Fox.

Conway refers to the Aleriona affair which was thirty years before. A generation and a half have elapsed. 

Dejerine refers, of course, to the World Federation Peace Control Authority and also to the Kenyan Empire which had been mentioned in The Star Fox.

The chapter also presents tables of data about the Anubelean System which I do not feel like going into right now. This is genuine future historical writing, albeit in only two volumes: build on past information and add more in each new instalment.

7 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I prefer to think of a generation as being at least 30 years, 20 years is too short to count as a generation.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I am not sure whether there is an agreed number of years. 20 years is long enough for someone to be born and grow to young adulthood, able to work, marry, vote etc.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

My vague recollection is that a "generation" was a good deal longer than 20 years.

Ad astra! Sean

Jim Baerg said...

I think it would depend on the society.
It would be the rough average of how old ones parents are at your birth.
20 is a bit on the low side for the length of a generation in current prosperous societies.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Jim!

But I still lean to thinking a "generation" should be at least 30 years.

Ad astra! Sean

Jim Baerg said...

I'm the middle of 5 children.
At my birth my mother was 31 & my father was 35 years old.
By the standard I mentioned 20 years would be quite a bit too short.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Jim!

And my father was 51 when I was born and my mother well over 39. Twenty years is too short for a "generation."

Ad astra! Sean