Wednesday 22 May 2024

Gunnar And Jocelyn

The Star Fox, Part Two, II.

(We are still with Jocelyn Lawrie's reading list.)

A dialogue between Gunnar Heim and Jocelyn could have been spoken between (some) political opponents now. She speaks first:

"'I think you're wrong, horribly wrong, but I never doubted you mean well.'
"'Same for you, of course. Wish I could say likewise for some of your associates. And mine, I must admit. I don't like having the approval of some pretty nasty fanatics.'
"'Nor I. The Militants - I quit them when they started openly applauding mob violence.'
"'They tried to blackmail me through my daughter,' he said.
"'Oh, Gunnar!'" (p. 87)

Peace movements make a big deal out of nonviolent, albeit often disruptive, action but we can imagine the Aleriona crisis generating first Militants for Peace, then Heim's privateers. We appreciate familiar human responses in exotic settings.

4 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I immediately thought of the disgusting, disruptive, and violent antisemitic "demonstrations" in the US. They were like the Peace Militants of THE STAR FOX.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I do not think that they are as bad as the Peace Militants.

And these "demonstrations" must be very different from ours on the same issue if they are disgusting and violently anti-semitic.

Disruptive, certainly.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Mobs howling "Jews have no culture!," or that "Jews should go back to Poland!" (that is, Nazi death camps), other mobs terrorizing and assaulting Jews, and killing at least one person, still other mobs praising what Hamas did, etc., shows how they all stank of antisemitism.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

All I can say to that is that I go on completely different demonstrations and know that there is a vast movement that is not as you say.

Paul.