Sunday 18 February 2018

Inter-Species Amity

Ferune, Wyvan of Mistwood Choth, is dying from radiation poisoning sustained in the defense of Avalon. Daniel Holm, who will succeed Ferune as First Marchwarden of the Lauran System, kneels and lays his head on Ferune's keelbone.

"Wings enfolded the man and lips kissed him. 'I flew higher because of you,' Ferune said. 'If war allows, honor us by coming to my rite. Fair winds forever.'"
-Poul Anderson, The People Of The Wind IN Anderson, Rise Of The Terran Empire (Riverdale, NY, 2011), pp. 437-662 AT Chapter X, p. 551.

I was not sufficiently moved by this scene on previous readings.

1 comment:

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Kaor, Paul!

I agree! Albeit, I dislike the Ythrian custom of THROWING down the bodies of the deceased from a great height, as the conclusion of their funerary rites. I prefer the way we do it for humans, whether ordinary citizens or heads of state.

Sean