Saturday 17 February 2018

The Earth Book And The Saga

I have in my possession copies of:

The Earth Book Of Stormgate (see image);
The Technic Civilization Saga in seven volumes.

The former collects twelve works with new introductions and an afterword. The latter collects the entire History of Technic Civilization, including the entire contents of the Earth Book interspersed with other installments of the History in their fictional chronological order. So the Saga renders the Earth Book redundant and the latter will not be reissued as a separate volume?

Nevertheless, I find it helpful to possess both versions. If we want to consult the Earth Book introductions, then it is easier to find them in the single volume. These introductions inform us that:

A.A. Craig wrote two of the works collected in the Earth Book for his Tales Of The Great Frontier;
Judith Lundren wrote three for the Avalonian periodical, Morgana;
Arinnian wrote one directly for the Earth Book;
Hloch, the Earth Book editor, and Arinnian co-wrote two.

Thus, these four authors account for eight of the twelve chapters of the Earth Book. It was much easier to confirm this by consulting a single volume. See also AA Craig.

3 comments:

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Kaor, Paul!

I agree, it is convenient to have a copy of THE EARTHBOOK OF STORMGATE (I have one too). But I only have copies of two of Baen Books recollecting of the entire Technic saga: RISE OF THE TERRAN EMPIRE and FLANDRY'S LEGACY. The first because it contained both "The Star Plunderer" and the hitherto rare "Sargasso of Lost Spaceships." And I didn't really need to get FLANDRY' LEGACY, I have the entire Technic Saga collected in various other editions.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I had to have the SAGA complete. The updated Chronology in each volume is also convenient.
Paul.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Kaor, Paul!

I certainly don't object to you or anyone else having Baen Books collecting of the entire Technic Civilization saga! What I'm dissatisfied with is how Baen used Sandra Meisel's dates for the Chronology. As you know I found her proposed dates unsatisfactory and revised her Chronology.

Also, I was annoyed at whoever it was wrote this in Miesel's Chronology for AD 3022: "Degenerate Emperor Josip succeeds weak old Emperor Georgios." I agree Josip was a bad, even a degenerate Emperor, but I've seen nothing in the stories to indicate Georgios was a weak Emperor. The too few times Georgios was mentioned were neutral or favorable.

Sean