Thursday 22 August 2024

Serendipity And Some POVs


In recent posts, the telekinetic "haunting" of the spaceship in Poul Anderson's "Sargasso of Lost Starships" led to listing a few works where the genuinely supernatural has intruded into sf scenarios. My mention of a Jet-Ace Logan story reminded Sean M. Brooks of Anderson's "Superstition," which I had forgotten but then reread, and I also reread Anderson's "Fantasy in the Age of Science" because it is relevant and comes immediately after "Superstition" in the collection, Fantasy. Thus, "Sargasso...," from which I had not expected a great deal, has had some serendipitous spin-offs. Perhaps it is time to return to the interrupted "Sargasso..." but maybe not this evening. I am always trying to get back to other reading which it is sometimes interesting to compare with Poul Anderson.

POV Cop Routine 

In the opening sentence of the first narrative section of "Sargasso...," Martin hears whereas, in the concluding sentence of that section, Savage hopes so there has been shift of point of view (pov). 

In the opening sentence of the second narrative section:

"He went over the flight plan with Martin." (p. 237)

- "He" being Savage so we might expect his pov to continue. However, this section reverts to Martin's pov.

Later sections give us other povs but only the first section has a shift of pov. On p. 241, there should maybe be a double space between two paragraphs to indicate a change between narrative sections. That exhausts my pov analysis of this story.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

A few days ago I was thinking of rereading FIRE TIME, by Anderson. But, I unexpectedly gained a copy of Robert W. Chambers' THE KING IN YELLOW (first pub. 1895) at a donate/pick up book case at work. I've already read "The Repairer of Reputations," "The Mask," and "In the Court of the Dragon."

I first came across mention of Chambers and THE KING IN YELLOW in Stirling's PRINCE OF OUTCASTS. So when I saw this book amidst the more usual thrillers, romances, and old dictionaries I just had to take it!

"Repairer" reads likes a late 19th century Gothic/horror story, but far more subtle and not in the least a boringly gory story when compared to many contemporary horror stories. And I loved the surprising, unexpected ending to "Mask." So I think this collection will be a good, serendipitous read!

Ad astra! Sean