Friday 9 August 2024

"Kyrie" And Dan Dare

"Kyrie."

Hyperspatial jumps and instantaneous interstellar inter-species telepathy are essential to the plot but I find them unacceptable.

Because of time dilation in a black hole gravity well, the human telepath still hears hears her dying alien partner long after his death. 

"'He will always be with her.'" (p. 354)

This is the point of the story. I have just reread Dan Dare by Garth Ennis in which a human traitor and the wounded Mekon fall forever into a black hole. It was this that had reminded me of "Kyrie."

What a difference there is between a single short story of a few pages and works of increasing length up to and including multi-volume series. CS Lewis wrote an interplanetary trilogy and also a short story in which Lewis himself enters the mental landscape of a young woman: "The Shoddy Lands." "Kyrie" is another such short excursion.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I don't recall the instantaneous interstellar telepathy, which means I should reread "Kyrie." I agree, as you stated it, the premise is hard to accept.

For the first time since Feb. 2022, before my cervical myelopathy, I'm going away for a holiday. Not far, only to Cape Cod in MA. And not for long, only two days.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

The instantaneous telepathy is essential to the heroine still hearing her dead partner.

Happy Holiday!

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Oops, I remember that now, about the telepathy.

Thanks, re my holiday!

Ad astra! Sean