Saturday 4 January 2020

People And Planets

The narrative wealth of The Technic Civilization Saga is such that the single trader team story that does not even mention the team's employer, Nicholas van Rijn, is immediately followed by another story that unexpectedly reintroduces that massive merchant but through elaborate layers of other characters, as I have outlined elsewhere:

the narrator;
the narrator's friend;
the friend's son;
the son's ensign;
the son's and ensign's employer, van Rijn.

The trader team saves Merseia whereas van Rijn, wallowing in a lounger on Earth, solves a problem about the planet Cain. The narrator describes him as:

"...the single-handed conqueror of Borthu, Diomedes and t'Kela!"
-see A Man And His Rep.

So many characters and so many planets.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I have commented before that in "The Master Key" Nicholas van Rijn reminded me of Rex Stout's msyteries, featuring the equally detective massive Nero Wolfe!

Been working on a new note I hope to send you in a few days, when you are not so busy with family matters. Of course I can wait longer, if necessary.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Please send the note when you are ready. There MIGHT be a problem. With at least some of your earlier articles, Ketlan had to work on them in some way to effect the transfer from email, or email attachment, to blog. They would have come out spaced wrongly, otherwise. But I think that, with later ones, that didn't happen. If I receive an emailed article, I will try to copy and paste it to the blog but, if it comes out wrong, I will immediately delete it and it will be necessary to find a different solution.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Thanks, I will keep these possible technical difficulties in mind when I finally send you my next article. But not right away, I'm still on the first draft!

Ad astra! Sean