Friday 17 January 2020

Djana Remembers And Imagines

A Circus Of Hells, CHAPTER NINETEEN.

Flandry addresses Djana:

"He spoke calmly, as if these were the lost days when they two had fared after treasure." (p.348)

Those "lost days" were a single expedition earlier in this same novel. However, Anderson captures the feel of all "lost days." I have found that nostalgia can focus even on a single evening or incident.

Djana imagines the Merseian ship pursuing Flandry and her through space:

"The image might have sprung to her physical vision, shark shape across the Milky Way, man's great foes black-clad at the guns." (p. 353)

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Poul Anderson was very good at crafting graphic and evocative images! That was one big reason why I came to favor him over Asimov, another author I read in my youth. I came to realize how flat, colorless, and boring his longer stories came to be for me.

Ad astra! Sean