Wednesday 29 January 2020

Descent to Dennitza

A Knight Of Ghosts And Shadows, XIV.

Clouds and ice make Dennitza whiter than Terra when seen from space. Oceans are azure and dazzling. As Flandry and Kossara bail out on gravbelts, they experience:

"...a roar of night winds." (p. 520)

- then descend to:

"...the unpeopled taiga north of the Kazan." (ibid.)

(I would have guessed that "taiga" meant some kind of terrain other than a forest.)

In perhaps my first year at school, maybe 1954, I was frightened by a film of men bailing out of a plane and was allowed to leave the school hall. A few years later, I would have enjoyed a film, if there were one, of Flandry and Kossara bailing out of the Hooligan.

Today, walking past the back of the Infirmary, I was for the first time ever right beside the helipad when a helicopter circled around, descended just above my head and almost landed (it was only a training flight), raising a strong, cold wind that blew my hat off into a line of cars that had been temporarily stopped by a barrier during the helicopter's approach. That would have been an exciting experience for a young schoolboy.

(A friend who has been mentioned on the blog was once flown to the Infirmary with a broken back.)

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

But "taiga" can mean or include what is called a "boreal forest," characterized by trees like pines, spruces, larches, etc.

I only wish somebody in the film industry would take an interest in making Nicholas van Rijn or Dominic Flandry movies!

I am sorry about the friend who suffered a broken back. I can only hope he healed and recovered.

Ad astra! Sean