Monday 23 March 2020

To Continue With David Falkayn

Having reread the third and first (in that order) David Falkayn stories, it makes sense to reread the second although I had not planned to. I am always surprised at how much there is to be said about each of these stories.

"These stories originally appeared, in a somewhat different form in Analog Science Fact & Science Fiction, 'The Trouble Twisters' under the title 'Trade Team.'"
- note on the publication details page, p. 4, of Poul Anderson, The Trouble Twisters (New York, 1977).

("Trade Team" should be "Trader Team.")

I think that the "different form" means that the biographical cross-references that I found (see A Novel Or Not?) were added for the book publication of the stories. This was also done in Guardians Of Time. The third David Falkayn story is separated from the others in The Technic Civilization Saga so the references might not be as clear to readers.

I think that I first read The Trouble Twisters in the Gollancz edition in the 1960s. The blurb explained that young Falkayn worked for old van Rijn whom we had met in Trader To The Stars. I remember liking the introduction to the second story, "A Sun Invisible," as I will elucidate further after a meal break.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

You made a tiny mistake in the last paragraph. It was FALKAYN, not Flandry, who worked for Nicholas van Rijn.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

The similarity between the names "Falkayn" and "Flandry" catches me when I am in a hurry. I always correct mistakes when I see them.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

The only real similarity is that they both begin with the same letter, F.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

"Fal-" and "Fla-."

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Yes, but they SOUND different.

Ad astra! Sean