Sunday 22 March 2020

First Meetings

That previous post has got me rereading Dornford Yates although I did so only last year. My intention had been only to quote Richard Chandos in parallel with David Falkayn.

The theme of the current post is first meetings between fictional characters.

"Nicholas van Rijn left his desk and waddled across to the transparency that made one entire wall of his office...
"'You bring home the bacon and eggs scrambled with turmeric, I see you get rich.'
"'Yes, sir,' Falkayn mumbled."
-"The Trouble Twisters," II, p. 97.

That was the first meeting between van Rijn and Falkayn. The latter will defy the former only five installments of the Technic History later.

"...a tall, nice-looking man limped into the room...
"'My name is Mansel,' he said gravely. 'I beg that you'll drink with me.'"
-Blind Corner, CHAPTER 1, pp. 21-22.

Of no concern to anyone except those who remember Dornford Yates, this was the first meeting between Richard Chandos and Jonathan Mansel.

There was only one student in the room, who was bending over a distant table absorbed in his work. At the sound of our steps he glanced round and sprang to his feet with a cry of pleasure. “I’ve found it! I’ve found it,” he shouted to my companion, running towards us with a test-tube in his hand. “I have found a re-agent which is precipitated by hoemoglobin, 4 and by nothing else.” Had he discovered a gold mine, greater delight could not have shone upon his features.
“Dr. Watson, Mr. Sherlock Holmes,” said Stamford, introducing us.
“How are you?” he said cordially, gripping my hand with a strength for which I should hardly have given him credit. “You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive.”
“How on earth did you know that?” I asked in astonishment.
“Never mind,” said he, chuckling to himself.
-copied from here.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I really should reread some of the first Holmes stories!

Ad astra! Sean