Friday 27 March 2020

Bird Of Prey On Cain

"The Master Key."

"'Far, far overhead a bird of prey (scroll down) would wheel, then suddenly stoop - in the thick air I could hear the whistle through its wing feathers - and vanish into the treetops down in the valley. Those leaves had a million different shades of color, like an endless autumn.'" (p. 289)

This passage contributes to our Andersonian birds of prey theme. Often, the author or narrator points out that flying organisms on other planets are not really birds. The autumnal leaves present another colorful detail.

Our changeable weather is currently summery so I expect another long walk today.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

If Anderson had here written "flying raptor" instead of "bird of prey," that would seem less Terrestrial to me. I don't think I ever thought of THAT the previous times I read "The Master Key." So I appreciate the attention you pay to these small details!

Sometimes I go for walks too, taking a route that would take five miles to complete.

Ad astra! Sean