Sunday 22 March 2020

The Classics

There are three kinds of books.

The classics are out of copyright but never out of print and always available in bookshops in multiple editions.

Many books are published just once and instantly forgotten.

An intermediate group is remembered, sought for in second hand bookshops, looked out for by second hand booksellers and occasionally reissued, e.g., in SF Masterworks, only to go back out of print. These are not "classics" so what are they?

And which group does Poul Anderson belong in? He is off the shelves in local bookshops. Aroni, Andrea's brother, who runs the Old Pier Bookshop told me that a steady trickle of customers asks for Dornford Yates. I am now back out of that trickle, having purchased all the Yates books that I want.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I fear Anderson belongs to the "intermediate" category, a writer whose works is sometimes out of print and sometimes reissued, as Baem Books did with his Technic Civilization stories. And I hope others of his works will be reprinted!

And I think Lewis Carroll's two ALICE books has joined the ranks of the classics.

Ad astra! Sean