Tuesday 6 August 2019

Vicarious Nostalgia

Fiction can inspire vicarious nostalgia. World War II still casts a long shadow. I am focusing on a very few fictional representations of WWII:

brief scenes in Poul Anderson's "Time Patrol" and Three Hearts And Three Lions;

alternative versions of WWII in Anderson's Operation Chaos and in SM Stirling's Draka History;

the British comedy, Dad's Army, as a TV series (1968-1977), a stage show (1980s) and a feature film (2016).

My point, if I have one, is that this literary and dramatic sequence generates successive layers of nostalgia. Because of my age, I can have, at the very most, vicarious nostalgia for the War itself. However, I can now feel real nostalgia for my very first reading of "Time Patrol" and for my original viewing of the opening episode of Dad's Army - memories stretching across a life time.

(Post prompted by the facts that I am yet again rereading parts of Time Patrol and that I watched the Dad's Army film for the first time today.)

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I can have similarly nostalgic feelings for the very first books by Anderson and Stirling I read: the Chilton edition of AGENT OF THE TERRAN EMPIRE and UNDER THE YOKE.

Stirling's Draka are what the Communists and Nazis might have been like if they had not been so often incompetent and STUPIDLY brutal. The Draka were INTELLIGENTLY brutal.

Sean