Friday 23 August 2019

"What if You're Wrong?"

Fictional heroes like Poul Anderson's David Falkayn and Dominic Flandry risk their lives but do not die - usually. If we are reading an eight-volume Dominic Flandry series, then we know that Flandry is not going to die except just possibly at the very end of the last volume. In fact, I did think that he was going to die near the end of A Stone in Heaven but there was a conventional rescue after all. In some sub-genres, it is a given that the hero always survives. ERB was not going to write about the death of Tarzan or John Carter. Arthur Conan Doyle and Ian Fleming did try, unsuccessfully, to dispose of their signature characters.

Having explained his military strategy, SM Stirling's and David Drake's Raj Whitehall is asked:

"'Sir - what if you're wrong?'"
-All That Fall, CHAPTER EIGHT, p. 437 -

- and replies:

"'This isn't a safe profession, you know. If I'm wrong, we all die. And now, Messers, I think we should attend to the men.'" (ibid.)

An excellent answer, especially that last sentence, suggesting immediate practical action.

But I have heard that question before. An Evangelical asked Richard Dawkins, "What if you're wrong?" He replied in part, "What if you're wrong about the Great Ju-Ju under the sea?" (See here.) An excellent answer. Here would be two more:

"You ask me what would be the consequences for me if your belief were true but it is your belief so you know the answer."

"My world-view is based on evidence and reason. I cannot change it by an act of will as Evangelicals seem to expect."

Have I gone off the point? Not really. In any situation, each of us can only make his best judgment, then act on it. Does anyone claim to be infallible? Well, yes, as a matter of fact...

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Ha! Of course I knew a frustrated A. Conan Doyle, impatient to move on to other ideas and themes as a writer, tried to kill off Sherlock Holmes, only to be forced by popular protest to bring back the Great Detective. Not sure if I knew that was also what happened to Ian Fleming and James Bond.

Yes, I recall that officers meeting presided over by Raj. And he made a good reply, blending both stoicism and practicality. Plus, I've even wondered about the derivation of "Messer." Did it descend from our English "Mister," Master," or the French "Monsieur/Messieurs"? Was the Sponglish of the Civil Government descended from a merging of English and Spanish? The "Spanjol" of the Southern Territories conquered by the Squadron might be more clearly and directly descended fro Spanish.

I am not an Evangelical Protestant. There is much in that form of Christianity I believe to be plain and simple error. My belief is that Catholicism unites faith and reason. And the pope is only infallible when he speaks ex cathedra, invoking his authority of "confirming the brethren" only when an important matter touching on faith and morals makes it necessary to do so.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Bond apparently dies, and was meant to die, at the end of FROM RUSSIA, WITH LOVE, but Raymond Chandler had persuaded Fleming to continue the series even before that book was published. Fleming left the ending as planned (death/apparent death) but explained Bond's survival early in DR. NO.
"Messers" is used as an occasional plural for "Mister."
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Thanks! It only goes to show it's high time I reread at least some of the Bond books. After all, FROM RUSSIA WITH LIVE and DR NO are among the best of the Bond stories.

Are you saying British English sometimes uses "Messers"? Now that interests me!

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I have heard it but I think it would count as "archaic."
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Understood, but sometimes archaic words can take on a new lease of life!

Sean