Friday 9 August 2019

The Last, At Least For Today

I was going to go to Thurnham Hall but Nygel Harrot (scroll down) texted so I met him and Ali Romer at Barton Grange. Ali's review of a Poul Anderson novel should be published on the blog next week. Again, only two posts on this blog so far today. However, I am feeling a bit too tired to continue reading blogging material so instead will relax either with other reading or with a dvd. When reading any text, it is unpredictable what there will be found in it to blog about: Constantinople, Cromwell, a battlefield death, sublunar space etc. I miss the Belisarius parallels, which I am told are present, not knowing enough about Roman history.

"Belisarius, The Last Roman General" has some parallel with "Dominic Flandry, the Last Knight of Terra," although it is to be hoped that SM Stirling's and David Drake's character, Raj Whitehall, is not the last of his kind.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I'll be interested in whatever Mr. Romer chose to write about in the works of Poul Anderson.

"Only" two blog posts yesterday? Compared to many other "one man" blots, you run very busy blogs!

Of course I have long known Drake/Stirling had the our real world Belisarius in mind when crafting the character of Raj Whitehall. But I was kinda waiting for you to realize that.

Yes, we see Raj Whitehall becoming a great soldier who was also aware of the costs and tragedies of war and now it often forced him to making decisions he would really rather not have made.

I had not thought of analogizing the "last Roman general" with Dominic Flandry as the last knight of Terra.

Seam

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sorry. Ms. Romer.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

No problem! I've made bloopers here too! (Smiles)

Sean