Friday 30 August 2019

POVs In Murder Bound

OK. While writing this post, I am checking the povs (points of view) of successive chapters in Poul Anderson's Murder Bound. I do not know what I will find.

i, Conrad Lauring;
ii, Trygve Yamamura;
iii, Lauring;
iv, Yamamura;
v, Lauring;
vi, Yamamura;
vii, Lauring, then Yamamura;
viii, Yamamura;
ix, Yamamura;
x, Lauring;
xi, Yamamura;
xii, Lauring;
xiii, Lauring;
xiv, Yamamura;
xv, Yamamura;
xvi, Yamamura;
xvii, Lauring;
xviii, Yamamura;
xix, Lauring;
xx, Yamamura;
xxi, Yamamura.

Totals
Lauring 8
Yamamura 12
Both 1

- unless I find any more pov changes within chapters as I reread the chapters although I do not think so. So Yamamura gets more but not as many more as we would expect. As I noted in Conrad Lauring's POV, the omniscient narrator comes on-stage in half a sentence of Chapter iii. Will the text disclose any further subtleties?

You have had me for tonight, folks. Tomorrow and Sunday: Vintage Festival. Next week: various other social activities. Blogging has to fight for air space. What a relief that for some of us work is a thing of the past. It comes to us all if we live long enough.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Maybe MURDER BOUND should be the next PA book I reread! The bit you mentioned in previous blog piece about speculations on a Danish ruled world interested me. And the fact we see Yamamura in thirteen out of 21 chapters intrigued me.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Yamamura also appears in chapters where he is not the pov character.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Good! I thought we did not see enough of Yamamura in PERISH BY THE SWORD.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Or at least one such chapter. I have yet to reread them in detail. Also, I go off at tangents as you will have noticed.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I don't mind your tangents at all! (Smiles)

Sean