Saturday 13 April 2019

Sacrifice And Feast

SM Stirling, Snowbrother, Chapter 9, p. 106.

Is this SM Stirling's very first lovingly listed fictional menu? After the conquerors have invoked their gods and sacrificed a horse, their slaves carry in smoking platters and containers of:

wheat bread
beef
savory heaps of roast pig
venison
bear meat
eggs
garlic, herb sausage
milk
cheese
blood puddings
onions
broth
fresh rye bread
potatoes
turnips
sauerkraut
dried fruit
dried nuts
honey-mead
whiskey
southland wine
"lifewater"

(The images show which kinds of food I prefer.)

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Only a PHYSICALLY active life could make such a yummy diet safe for a largely sedentary like me! (Sighs)

I've drank wine, bear, brandy, ale, but never MEAD. That is one kind of drink I would like to try out.

Sean

Nicholas D. Rosen said...

Karl, Sean!

I bought a bottle of mead some years ago, and drank it a bit at a time. Drunk straight, it was like a white wine, but with the muskiness of honey, instead of a grape flavor, and it wasn’t sweet. I also tried it heated, with honey and cinnamon, and that was good for winter evening.

Best Regards,
Nicholas (behind on the weblog)

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Nicholas!

I did look up mead online and found out there are different types of that drink. Your comments here makes me more inclined to try out mead.

I hope you will have time to comment more often here!

Regards! Sean