Wednesday 10 April 2019

Introducing Snowbrother

I am beginning to read, for my first time, Snowbrother (New York, 1985), SM Stirling's first novel and the first volume of his Fifth Millennium series. So do we think a bit like Brain Wave meets The Winter Of The World or should we avoid such comparisons?

We will certainly notice any Andersonian allusions but we certainly do not read anyone else's books just for that reason. According to Wiki, there are low powered elements of magic or psionics so maybe a bit like The King Of Ys in that respect? But I will read without preconceptions.

An author begins with a blank page or screen and creates a fictional world that has never existed before. This process will continue as long as there are people able to read.

In the opening paragraph of Chapter 1, on p. 5:

quiet
cold
woodsmoke
smells of horses and of forest resin
blue-white snow on black tree trunks and branches
wind
clattering, stamping horses -

- thus, a description addressing no less than four senses.

4 comments:

S.M. Stirling said...

I wrote that book in law school -- it's full of anger and violence... 8-).

S.M. Stirling said...

There was an interesting editorial change, btw. I wrote it originally as post-apocalyptic; the editor wanted to market it as a fantasy, so I added 20,000 words and fantasy element. In literary terms, it worked about as well either way -- and at that point, I would have crawled naked over broken glass to New York, pulling myself along with my lips.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

You wouldn't!

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

What Mr. Stirling was trying to say was that, as a neophyte writer starving in the traditional garret, he was so desperate to sell a book he would have done almost anything an editor demanded.

And it's been so long since I read SNOWBROTHER that it's high time I reread it.

Sean