Sunday 3 June 2018

The Time Traveler's Heirs III

The Time Traveler's heirs include Doctor Who who, in the continuity of the two feature films starring Peter Cushing, is not an alien but an English inventor like the Time Traveler. Poul Anderson's The Dancer From Atlantis has some conceptual parallels with the TV series:

the out of control temporal vehicle;
the involuntary passengers who want to return home;
the device for imprinting a language on the brain;
the visit to Atlantis just before and during its destruction.

For my attempt to combine The Time Machine, the Time Patrol and Doctor Who, see here.

After the round trip to Northumberland, I am too tired to continue reading a new text so I have reverted to comparing The Time Machine with its main successors, Doctor Who and five groups of time travelers created by Poul Anderson:

the Time Patrol;
Jack Havig's group;
the Wardens and Rangers and their successors;
the futurians in The Dancer From Atlantis;
the travelers in the out of control "time projector" in "Flight to Forever."

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

While at Barnes and Noble tonight I was browsing the SF section (of course I would!) and came across, for the first time I know of, a writer named Jack McDevitt. Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact title, but it seems interesting. What bothered me is that Mr. McDevitt has been writing for over thirty years and TONIGHT was the first time I knowingly saw his name. Only goes to show it's impossible to read everybody!

Sean