Thursday 14 June 2018

Villains And Us

Some fictional villains do whatever they want: Exaltationists, Draka, Shadowspawn. What do we do? Of any potential action, we can ask:

Do I want to do this?
Can I do it?
What will be the consequences?
Am I concerned about the consequences for myself, for others or for both?

If I am concerned about the consequences for others, then guilt becomes a consequence for me. If I am unconcerned about the consequences for others, then the consequences for myself might be worse. Even the Shadowspawn can be defeated and the Draka could be although SM Stirling follows the consequences of eventual world conquest by the Draka.

Poul Anderson's Exaltationists have the same motivation as Neil Gaiman's and Mike Carey's Lucifer. Their will must be unconfined.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I've said similar things before, but in his Draka S.M. Stirling gives us unusually SMART villains, villains able to think and plan rationally in order to achieve their appalling ends. The Draka did not make the DUMB mistakes of the Communists and Nazis.

Sean