We can assess 100+ years of sf. Contrast the comparative straightforwardness of The Time Machine - into futurity and return - with the circular causality complexities of:
"By His Bootstraps" by Robert Heinlein;
The Technicolor Time Machine by Harry Harrison;
The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers;
Bid Time Return by Richard Matheson;
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger;
The Corridors Of Time by Poul Anderson;
There Will Be Time by Poul Anderson.
Although Niffenegger's time traveler is not Wells' Time Traveler, her title acknowledges Wells.
Matheson and Niffenegger give us time travel within a single lifetime;
Wells and Heinlein give us travel to future periods;
Harrison and Powers give us travel to historical periods;
Anderson gives us travel to both historical and future periods, including a unique vision of time travelers moving forwards and backwards along the world lines of slower than light interstellar spaceships, thus returning to Earth before the launch of the first ship.

1 comment:
Kaor, Paul!
And I've "discovered" another SF writer who wrote time traveling stories, Jack McDevitt. But, since I've read none of his works, to date, I cannot comment on how well or badly he handled that theme. But I think anyone who tries to surpass Anderson in writing time traveling SF will have his work REALLY cut out for him!
Sean
Post a Comment