Monday 22 February 2021

A Few Facts About Dennitza

A Knight Of Ghosts And Shadows.

The Denntizan rotation period is only 18.8 hours. (XII, p. 498) Thus, the seven-day trek is not as long as I had thought but still too long in the circumstances. As on Avalon, rapid rotation contributes "...to extremes of weather and climate." (ibid.)

"There are no ornithoids but orliks are winged theroids."
-copied from Dennitza.
 
Other winged theroids are guslars (scroll down), chiropteroids and yegyupka.

"An open window let in cool air, a glimpse of sunlight golden through the wings of a hovering chiropteroid." (XIII, p. 529)

(Another hoverer.)

"Flocks of soutbhbound yegyupka made heaven clangorous." (XV, p. 532)

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I never noticed that before, about Dennitza not having true birds! A thought I had just now was that one way for such planets to get birds would be by human colonists introducing Terrestrial flying life forms. For any number of reasons I can think of, however, that was not done by the colonists. Perhaps because Terran birds were too specialized to survive on many other planets?

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I am quoting myself about Dennitza having no birds but presumably I got it right the first time.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I simply never particularly noticed what Anderson said about the kinds of flying life forms Dennitza had in my previous readings of A KNIGHT OF GHOSTS AND SHADOWS.

Other kinds of Terrestrial life forms were introduced to many planets settled by humans, both plants and animals. In many cases to provide for and to prevent nutritional problems for the colonists. But BIRDS does not seem to have been among them.

Ad astra! Sean