Saturday 20 February 2021

Aycharaych The Artist

A Knight Of Ghosts And Shadows, XII.

Flandry to Kossara:

"'Not that I really know what drives Aycharaych. Maybe he's an artist of overriding genius. That's a kind of monster, isn't it?'" (p. 504)

But Flandry has already had insight into Aycharaych's motivation. Earlier he said to Desai:

"'I've sometimes thought he's an artist.'" (III, p. 391)

- to which Desai replied:

"'An artist of espionage and sabotage, whose materials are living beings? Well, conceivably.'" (ibid.)

Aycharaych himself told Flandry:

"'In action I find an art; and every art is a philosophical tool, whereby we may seek to win an atom deeper into mystery.'" (IX, p. 463)

It is then that they discuss the poem:

"'Yet half a beast is the great god, Pan..." (p. 464)
-see here.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I first read A KNIGHT OF GHOSTS AND SHADOWS around 1974, and that stanza from Elizabeth Barrett Browning's "A Musical Instrument" lingered in my mind. It caused me to look up Browning's verses so I could read the entire poem. Eventually, I got a collection of her poems and made sure "A Musical Instrument" was included.

And we see Anderson showing good trade craft as a writer here, when he had Flandy saying he had read this poem in TRANSLATION, to remind us that the Anglic he spoke was not our English.

Ad astra! Sean