Saturday 20 February 2021

Masks And Mirrors

A Knight Of Ghosts And Shadows, XII.

The Mask Of Emptiness gives the emptiness a face whereas Aycharaych's "'Masks within masks...'" (p. 503) conceal his face.

Flandry thinks:

"I see in my mirror the specter of him. Though who of us is flesh and who image?" (pp. 503-504)

A plastic surgeon has fixed Harvey Dent's face but not his soul -

Caption: The scars go deep, too deep...
Caption: I close my eyes and listen.
Caption: Not fooled by sight, I see him...
Dent: Have your laugh, Batman - - take a look!
Caption: ...as he is.
He sees both sides of Dent's face scarred.
Dent: ...take a look...
Caption: I see him. I see...
The Batman: ...I see...a reflection, Harvey.
The Batman sees the Bat from the Cave.
The Batman: A reflection.
They embrace as a bat flies past.
-Frank Miller, The Dark Knight Returns (London, 1986), BOOK ONE, p. 47, panels 2-10.

By different routes to the same destination: the villain reflects the hero.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Not directly relevant to these comments of yours, we see a man badly scarred in face and soul in Anderson's story "The Visitor."

Ad astra! Sean