Thursday 18 February 2021

Dragan

A Knight Of Ghosts And Shadows, V.

When Trohdwyr is dying, Kossara addresses him as "'Trohdwyr, dragan!'" (p.412), then croaks an Eriau lullaby.

Lisbeth Salander's employer:

"Dragan Armansky was born in Croatia..."
-Stieg Larsson, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (London, 2008), CHAPTER 2, p. 29.

Noticing this connection, I googled "Dragan" and learned that it is a Serbo-Croatian masculine name derived from a word root meaning "dear" or "beloved." Thus, Poul Anderson has taught me something about a Stieg Larsson character

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I think I have a vague recollection of seeing somewhere this use of "Dragan" as a given name. But not as an endearment.

I'm reminded of names like "Clement," meaning mild and merciful. Then that became a masculine name as well. Think of Clement Attlee, once PM of the UK, or the 14 popes named Clement.

Ad astra! Seam