Friday 10 April 2020

Biblical Allusions On Venus

"The Big Rain," IV.

Most of this, I have already said. See:

Uses Of The Bible

I missed two points. First, there are not yet any full-time clergy on Venus:

"'Some of the men are priests and rabbis and whatnot in their spare time...'" (p. 186)

Secondly, Hollister ironically thinks:

"Get thee behind me, Satan." (p. 187)

I could google and link to this quotation but I hardly think that that is necessary.

When Hollister says that Venus has become an Old Testament god, he is starting to identify the motivation for the colonials' dedication.

On the question of full-time clergy or not, in Harry Harrison's Bill, The Galactic Hero, a spaceship has a single chaplain who consults a reference book to perform the various rituals.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I knew at once where the "Get thee behind me, Satan!" line came from, Matthew 16.

I'm not sure how seriously Harry Harrison meant the arrangement described in BIIL, THE GALACTIC HERO, because I recall that book as funny and meant to be humorous. But no CATHOLIC could possibly agree to that kind of "clergy." Or most other believers.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

Oh, yes. The all-purposes chaplain was definitely a humorous touch.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

But I think I missed that bit when I read Harrison's book. I was only a boy then.

Ad astra! Sean