Tuesday 21 April 2020

Star Ways

I have reread and posted about Poul Anderson's The Peregrine/Star Ways more than once before yet it remains possible to generate new posts about this novel. To appreciate any one of Poul Anderson's texts completely, it is necessary to attend to every detail. Would you have remembered the Captains' Council, the Great Cross or the connections but also the dissimilarities between this novel and the two short stories about young Pete on Nerthus? We have totally left behind the Solar Union with its Psychotechnic Institute, Humanist Revolution, Order of Planetary Engineers etc. Anderson makes us feel the excitement of exploring new regions of space toward Sagittari and the Galactic Center.

As midnight approaches here, I must return to rereading either Dornford Yates' prose fiction or Mike Carey's graphic fiction. However, The Peregrine, CHAPTER III, is on the reading list for tomorrow.

In the name of Cosmos, good night.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I'm a slow reader, unlike you! I recently finished mostly rereading HJR Murray's A HISTORY OF CHESS. I said "mostly" because I did not feel bound to play the collection of Medieval chess problems he included in the book (and using the moves and rules of the Medieval form of chess).

I'm still far too slowly rereading Anderson's IS THERE LIFE ON OTHER WORLDS? But I should be reading more of that book now that I'm done with Murray's work.

And I've started rereading Julian May's DIAMOND MASK.

Ad astra! Sean