Wednesday 1 January 2020

Biblical Language

Poul Anderson not only frequently quotes from the Bible but also sometimes creates Biblically influenced prose passages like:

"He on the throne: 'For that they have sinned beyond redemption, the sin that may not be forgiven, which is to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, no more are they My people.
"'Behold, I cast them from me; and I will raise against them a new people under a new sun; and their name shall be Strength.
"'Open now the book of the seven thunders.'"
-A Circus Of Hells, CHAPTER FOURTEEN, p. 304.

Someone might tell us how many and which Biblical quotations are reworked here? These phrases are obviously relevant:

He on the throne;
the sin against the Holy Spirit;
not My people;
cast them from Me;
seven thunders.

In fact, the seven thunders are mentioned but not revealed in Revelation 10.

The occasion of this passage is that Djana, brought up as a Catholic, has been influenced by a Merseian so she imagines a new scriptural passage with the science fictional aspect incorporated in the phrase, "...a new people under a new sun..." 

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Every time I reread A CIRCUS OF HELLS, I find myself pausing to ponder this very Biblically worded text!

Every Christian and Jew is familiar with the image of God being seated on His throne.

Every Christian should know of how Christ discussed the sin against the Holy Spirit. Most Catholics understand that to mean dying despairing of the mercy of God, to believe oneself to be so wicked that it would be wrong to ask for divine mercy.

And that "Behold, I cast them from Me" reminds me of this bit from 4 Kings 24.20: "For the Lord was angry against Jerusalem and against Juda, till he cast them out from his face" (quoting from the Doaai-Reims-Challoner).

Ad astra and Happy New Year! Sean