Sunday 28 July 2019

SF As Collaboration

Poul Anderson wrote:

many entirely original works;

several new installments of already existing series created by other authors, e.g., one US Robots story, one War World story and three Man-Kzin Wars stories (Asimov, Pournelle and Niven, respectively);

one story in the Murasaki volume;

two stories set in a fictional universe created by Isaac Asimov for other authors to use.

SM Stirling has written:

original works;

two (?) War World stories;

one contribution to Anderson's Time Patrol series;

collaborations with Jerry Pournelle set in the Man-Kzin Wars series and in Pournelle's own CoDominium History (of which the War World represents a single period);

The General series based on outlines created by David Drake specifically for Stirling to use.

That list is as comprehensive as I can make it with the minimum of checking and, I think, covers just about every possible kind of sf collaboration.

4 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Your mention of MURASAKI reminded me of A WORLD NAMED CLEOPATRA, a similarly themed but earlier shared world anthology with multiple authors. As a book I thought WORLD rather disappointing, with the only interesting parts being Anderson's introduction and short story.

MURASAKI was a more successful shared world anthology, two interesting articles, one by Anderson (focusing on the nuts and bolts of building up a fictional planet). And I thought several of the short stories worth reading, not just the one by Anderson.

Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

I'm going to be participating in a Burroughs anthology too.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

If that story of yours is going to be set on John Carter's Barsoom, I'm sure it will be vastly better than the ghastly movie about John Carter I saw on TV, altho I only watched parts of it.

Sean

PS. Oops! I just now realized I used a Barsoomian greeting! (Smiles)

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Kaor,
That would be a second Burroughs anthology?
Paul.