Saturday 13 July 2019

Archaisms III

For Love And Glory.

"'No, I'm keyed up like a grand piano.' Another of his archaisms that she didn't recognize." (XLI, pp. 232-233)

"'...I'd be lousy at it.'
"Another archaism?" (XLV, p. 253)

"'Why not try to win their amity and trust?'
"'As the chickens wondered about the foxes,' said Hebo aside.
"His archaism went by." (XLVIII, p. 268)

"'I think the guardian was supposed to handle anything that came out of left field.'
"Once more Lissa must infer what an expression of his meant." (IL, p. 274)

"'I'm afraid you'll have to take a rain check on what we were talking about earlier,' said Hebo.
"Again she must infer his meaning, obvious though it was." (L, p. 283)

I have scanned back through the entire text but have not found "convent girls" which I mentioned here.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

If the Catholic Church existed in FLAG and Hebo was mentioned as being a Catholic, it's reasonable to think there are still monasteries and convents in the FLAG timeline, even if none were mentioned. Terms like "convent girls" came to refer to the students at schools some convents in our real timeline managed.

Sean