Friday 12 July 2019

Archaisms II

For Love And Glory.

See Archaisms.

Hebo refers to "'...beating around the bush.'" (III, p. 21) However, Lissa does not recognize this phrase as archaic.

Lissa does not recognize "'...crapshoot...'" (IV, p. 29)

She is surprised when Hebo recites the "'Hail Mary...,'" (VII, p. 38) which she recognizes from historical documentaries.

Romon quotes and Hebo recognizes Tennyson. (XXXIII, p. 176) Later, it will matter when Romon quotes and Hebo recognizes Shakespeare. (LIII, p. 297)

We have already had "'Judas priest!'" (XXXV, p. 184)

Hebo says, "'...Never-Never Land...'" (p. 185) although Lissa does not recognize this as archaic.

There is more, of course, but not tonight, there isn't.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I think I influenced Poul Anderson into using this archaicism: "tying up loose ends," which I used in one of my letters to Anderson. Later, I noticed how that phrase was used in THE SHIELD OF TIME, referring to one of the Time Patrol's investigators.

And I don't think the Ave Maria prayer will disappear or become "archaic," because of how widely and often Catholics use it.

Sean