Tuesday 23 July 2019

Music, Man And Superman

Star Prince Charlie, 7, Man and Superman.

"...the Hoka skirled forth a coronach." (p. 75)

"The warriors kept bringing him rich fruit and drink and then expected him to give an a capella concert." (p. 82)

What is George Bernard Shaw's Man And Superman about? How does it connect with Nietzsche's Superman? Why is Chapter 7 of Star Prince Charlie called Man and Superman? We, or at least I, read Star Prince Charlie without reflecting on the chapter titles. Having just reread this chapter, I still do not understand the relevance of its title. I am about to reread Chapter 13, Fahrenheit 451, so this time I will pay attention and try to discern the significance of the chapter title.

In Chapter 12, The Return of the Native, a young New Lemurian returns to his home village. The content of this chapter is serious and far removed from Hoka comedy.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I had wondered about that chapter title, "Man and Superman." But I did not think of G.B. Shaw's work. I thought it might have had something to do with Nietzsche's ideas about the "superman."

Sean