Saturday 13 July 2019

Chapter Titles

I have noticed something odd about the chapter titles in Poul Anderson's and Gordon R. Dickson's Star Prince Charlie. I trust that it will be sufficient for me to list the titles for blog readers to see what I mean:

1 The Innocent Voyage
2 Stranger in a Strange Land
3 A Night at an Inn
4 Kidnapped
5 The Redheaded League
6 Songs of Experience: The Tiger
7 Man and Superman
8 Soldiers Three
9 A Midsummer Night's Dream
10 Wind, Sand, and Stars
11 The Social Contract
12 The Return of the Native
13 Fahrenheit 451
14 Beat to Quarters
15 The Prince
16 The Deep Range
17 Earthman's Burden

It is all of them, not just some. Google any that you do not recognize. Did I notice this on the first reading? Will it occasion any discussion this time? Who can say? Not me at this time of night.

Onward, Earthlings!

7 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Once you pointed it out, I immediately realized Anderson/Dickson were alluding to the Bible and many other writers in their chapter titles. It CHAGRINS me that I have to say I did not see or grasp these allusions in my previous readings of STAR PRINCE CHARLIE.

I only needed to list a few examples to bear out what you said. "Stranger in a Strange Land," of course, came from the Authorized Version translation of Genesis. "The Red Headed League" came from the Sherlock Holmes story written by A. Conan Doyle. "Soldiers Three" came from the Kipling poem. "The Social Contract" from JJ Rousseau's book of the same name. And all SF fans should immediately know "Fahrenheit 451" was taken from Ray Bradbury's novel! "The Prince" of course alludes to Niccolo Machiavelli's book THE PRINCE. "Earthman's Burden" of course came from Anderson/Dickson's own book of the same name.

I'm disgusted with myself for missing these references in past readings of STAR PRINCE CHARLIE!

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

Of course, most sf fans will recognize STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND as a Heinlein title.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I did think of Heinlein's book as well. And I googled and found out that "The Innocent Voyage" was taken from the original title of the British writer Richard Hughes' novel A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA, aka THE INNOCENT VOYAGE.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Yes, they are all titles although the Heinlein one also gives us a Biblical quote.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I have been wondering if PA modeled the title of "The Innocent Arrival" (co-authored with Karen Anderson) on Richard Hughes' novel THE INNOCENT VOYAGE.

Sean









S.M. Stirling said...

Damn, I didn't notice until you pointed it out!

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

I was chagrined too! (Smiles)

Sean