Sunday, 9 August 2026

The End Is A Beginning

The Lords Of Creation.

OK. A local war is resolved but the whole rest of the Dyson sphere remains to be explored so what happens next? Volume IV? Trilogy 2, Volume I? As an early Star Trek film poster proclaimed, "The Adventure Continues..." - or at least should continue. This cannot be the end. The end of the trilogy is only a beginning. Will the same characters return to the Sphere or will we be introduced to what would become a fourth set of characters in the series? The original "Lords" can remain off-stage indefinitely, I think. How far is the Sphere from the Solar System? Instantaneous interstellar transition is a neat trick, not to say implausible. Such things can be made to seem easy in sf - but they would benefit from some kind of explanation.

Even in retro-sf, we are always looking forward to what is going to happen next.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Paul!

I suspect Stirling will be satisfied writing THE SKY PEOPLE, IN THE COURTS OF THE CRIMSON KINGS, and THE LORDS OF CREATION, desiring to go on to other ideas and themes. But he likes to leave one or two loose ends in his stories, leaving room for him to continue a series if/when the mood or inspiration strikes him.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Sean: just about right. Arc Manor took up the 'trilogy' after I got a turn-down on the third book with the original publisher.

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

I thought so! After all Anderson often did it the same way with his series, leaving room for continuations.

I know writers can't please all editors/publishers, but I'm not happy you got turned down. Oh, well, Tolkien had great difficulties getting THE LORD OF THE RINGS published.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

BTW, the 'instantaneous transition" isn't necessarily instantaneous. It could be limited by lightspeed... or not...

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

But those who visit the Sphere from Earth return home without years or centuries having elapsed in their absence?

Jim Baerg said...

In the speculations I have read about 'wormholes' allowing interstellar travel, going through the wormhole takes negligible time, but setting up the link takes at least as many years as the ends are separated by light-years.
Also if in setting up the link you approach creating a 'closed time-like curve' (ie: allowing time travel) the wormholes will collapse.

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

I dunno, your comments plus those of Jim reminded me of Anderson's THE ENEMY STARS where instantaneous transmission of matter over light years was possible. But first the equipment needed for those transmissions had to be shipped STL from star to star.

So, the Dyson sphere in THE LORDS OF CREATION could be many light years from Earth? Never thought of that.

Ad astra! Sean