Thursday, 20 August 2026

Satellites

Tales Of The Flying Mountains.

"'The equipment in orbit, man! There're a couple of hundred assorted devices near Earth these days.'" (p. 199)

There are 16,400 active satellites today. 

No sf writer predicted our future in 2026 with an International Space Station, 16,400 satellites, some unmanned interplanetary probes and massive new knowledge about exo-planets. What is a plausible extrapolation from our 2026? One without sf cliches? I do not have the slightest idea. Posts will be sparse tomoz because of a coach trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Paul!

And the new spaceships being built by SpaceX! I still want to see that ludicrously tiny and obsolete space station replaced by a far larger station with rotating rings simulating different levels of gravity.

I have no objection, per se, to well done and skillfully used "cliches." Because they usually have kernels of truth. It's a cliche to say all dogs are canines--and it's also true.

Ad astra! Sean