Wednesday, 26 August 2026

Another Problem And The Fate Of Cities

Orbit Unlimited, part three.

This is yet another story built around:

a seemingly insurmountable technical problem;

what I have come to call an Andersonian moment of realization - in this case, one character leaps up, startling another, when he suddenly realizes what the solution must be;

a later disclosure of the solution to the readers;

meanwhile, a human problem that must also be recognized and overcome before the technical solution can be implemented.

However, since, in this case, both the technical problem and its solution are even more complicated than usual, I will not attempt to summarize them here but instead will advise blog readers to read or reread the story - which I always do anyway.

Meanwhile, in parallel reading, in the "FIRST TALE" in Clifford Simak's City, rapid transportation for commuting, replacement of agriculture by hydroponics and new easy building techniques enable populations to move to the countryside, making cities redundant. In Poul Anderson's The Peregrine, a similar situation is described as making the entire Earth a single city.

(If City continues to display such parallels, then I might continue to reread it.)

6 comments:

S.M. Stirling said...

There's a sharp break in the 19th century between cities as population sinks -- London in Shakespeaere's time had five burials for every baptism -- and their sefl-sustaining growth after germ theory. Of course, now birth-rates are below replacement.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul and Mr. Stirling!

Paul: I can see hydroponics, on Earth, having some specialized or niche uses, but not of it replacing agriculture. I see hydroponics being at its most practical on spaceships, space habitats, and domed colonies on planets like Mars.

Mr. Stirling: The last part of your comment depressed me. It reminded me of the dismal scenario seen in P.D. James' THE CHILDREN OF MEN, except our situation is far more culpable. It was some kind of factor beyond anyone's control which caused cessation of childbirths in James' book. What we are seeing now in our contemptable age can only be called reproductive suicide.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

Hydroponics replacing agriculture is highly implausible. I think that Simak wanted to show science destroying old ways of life.

I am going for a long walk so will not be posting for hours.

Paul.

S.M. Stirling said...

Yeah, hydroponics is more energy-intensive than agriculture. It's a viable alternative only where agriculture is impossible.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul and Mr. Stirling!

Paul: Of course hydroponics will never replace agriculture wherever the latter is possible. I did see a TV show exploring the idea it has some LIMITED uses even on Earth.

Mr. Stirling: Absolutely! Hydroponics will be practical on a large scale only where agriculture is impossible. I listed some instances of where hydroponics could be useful.

Ad astra! Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

Absolutely! That's simple, basic, elementary economics of the kind schoolchildren used to be taught before "education" became so corrupt and PC/woke.

Ad astra! Sean