Monday, 31 August 2026

Coffin And Svoboda

Orbit Unlimited, part four.

At the end of section 4, Joshua Coffin:

longs to be back in space;

experiences burning eyes;

tries to stand but lacks will and strength;

feels that nothing matters;

overhears a conversation behind a closed door;

stands on the second attempt;

goes to a window and stares out;

hates Rustum;

despises Jan Svoboda;

feels guilt;

is baffled by Svoboda's merriment with his accuser, Wolfe.

Thus, Coffin is the viewpoint character of this passage. 

The opening paragraph of section 5 describes:

"The east side of the tableland called High America..." (p. 12)

At the end of the second paragraph, Svoboda looks with awe. Thus, we are now in the viewpoint of the man whom Coffin had despised even though the two men are now walking together down into the Cleft that splits the cliffs. Coffin's voice is loud and ugly to Svoboda. This happens all the time. We perceive others who perceive us. However, in real life, each of us is directly acquainted with only one viewpoint, his own, whereas, in fiction, the omniscient narrator can show us Coffin's viewpoint in section 4 and Svoboda's in section 5. Novelists have been developing these techniques since the seventeenth century.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Paul!

I have wondered if Miguel Cervantes' DON QUIXOTE should be considered the first modern novel as we understand that word/concept.

In either "House Rule" or the Old Phoenix interludes of A MIDSUMMER TEMPEST we get a glimpse of persons who can only be a real Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.

And I remember Chesterton's line about that "lean and foolish knight" from his poem "Lepanto."

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

DON QUIXOTE is one candidate for first novel.

I will have to find that Old Phoenix reference.

Paul.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Erik the Red, Sancho Panza and Nicholas van Rijn drink together in the Old Phoenix in "House Rule."

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Paul!

That bit I cited from Chesterton's poem also reminded me of what Anderson said about seeing the "madness and nobility of Iberia" in En Jaime, near the end of ROGUE SWORD.

I thought it was in "House Rule" that we see Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

The Hellenistic Greeks wrote novels, though it wasn't a big deal.

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

I tried, but I did not remember any such Hellenistic Greek novels. What I did recall was Petronius Arbiter's SATYRICON, and he was a first century AD Roman.

I also thought of how the books of Tobit, Esther, and Jonah, in the OT, could be read as short stories. And the stories about "Bel and the Dragon," and "Susanna and the Elders" in the Book of Daniel were mystery stories!

Ad astra! Sean

Jim Baerg said...

I should find and read an English version of this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_True_Story
by Lucian of Samosata. A 2nd century AD story that might be considered the 1st Science Fiction story.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Jim!

It's possible Lucian of Samosata was one of those Hellenistic writers I tried to remember.

Ad astra! Sean