Sunday, 30 August 2026

Isaac's Universe

Poul Anderson contributed two stories to Isaac's Universe, then adapted both of these stories into yet another of his own fictional futures, For Love And Glory.

For this universe that was to be used by other authors, Asimov specified five intelligent extra-solar species:

porpoise-like water-dwellers;
an insect-like species;
snake-like empaths;
small fliers;
block-like high-gravity beings.

This is not how to write original sf. For a start, the five species sound all too familiar. We have read about their like before. Secondly and more importantly, an sf writer has to start with a blank sheet or screen and question every previous premise. My current concern is: how often does unicellular life, which may be abundant on exo-planets, make the transition to multicellular organisms? But even that is just one current question. How does a writer discover an original idea? Anything that I could suggest would not be original.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I don't recall reading any interesting SF stories showing us "intelligent" insect like species. The "bugs" of RAH's STARSHIP TROOPERS doesn't count.

Frank Herbert, in HELLSTROM'S HIVE, wrote a novel with the interesting, if grotesque, premise of a secret, generations long breeding program designed to gene engineer humans into a species with an insect like hive mind.

I don't believe we have solid evidence, either way, of saying how rare unicellular life is in the galaxy/universe. Till then I prefer to lean in the direction of life being more plentiful than some think.

Ad astra! Sean